Thursday 15 December 2016

Visual Narratives - Initial Images, Zine

I started off struggling with the making of this zine, trying too hard to realise images in a more or less final state, or at least as roughs for my final book. But I totally missed the point of keeping it broad at this early stage of the project, and to just respond to my research visually in any interesting and relevant way. When I started doing this, I ended up with some exciting and interesting outcomes.

I wanted to play around with mixed media and collage, to try and tell a story with different methods than just drawing. I find it all too easy to just go straight to making lines and forms with my pen and my plan was to push away from that, or at least start off with a different technique before reaching for the fine-liners.






A mixture of techniques resulted in a mixture of quality and success.

'It's cool, but not very you', was one of the best responses I got regarding the second to last page; the perfect response I was looking for! I hope to hear that more often. 

I like the idea of layering techniques and imagery to try and piece together the idea of a place and a story, reflecting the complexity and the many sides to one story or issue. It also creates a more dynamic image, whereas no matter how much shading is present on the brush pen drawing, it still remains quite flat and very predictable.

No comments:

Post a Comment