Tuesday 1 November 2016

We Built This City - Dream House

Although this is perhaps not an accurate depiction of what my dream house would be like (because in reality I either want a humble little log cabin, big enough for a bed, a wood burning stove and a desk to draw at, or a mattress in the back of a van), it was a really interesting exercise to put what we had learnt earlier on in the session to use on an actual piece of work.
(Another lovely thing about it was that it felt like the last week of school before christmas when you just do fun activities and forget about real work, and the fact that this was real work and a real actual adult degree...nowt better).


So this was my house...I went for a very layered approach to my architecture, piling roofs on roofs on chimneys on windows. I used this to explore mark making more extensively though, giving me numerous different surfaces and areas to work into, attempting to make each one unique and different from the next. 

As a final piece, this variety gives a really nice depth and feel to the drawing; it makes you want to look closer and pick out the individual areas of marks. Again I come back to this word tactile and tangible; there's a visceral pleasure to looking at (and building up) marks, especially when close together in one image. Probably why I have always fallen back to creating tone and surfaces using detailed, meticulous marks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment