Sunday 24 September 2017

5 Motifs - Death

Death is a very recurrent theme and situation in McCarthy's work. It is often pondered about and discussed by a lot of his characters, and loss is something that is experienced by many of them. He seems to explore the philosophy and purpose of life a lot and so death also.


This is a unique topic that I have drawn so far in this project, with it being more of a concept and a none-physical thing with a specific appearance (although it also does have a appearance and is a physical occurrence just as life is also). 

Trying to use more abstract imagery I was trying to present the idea of an end or a passing away, a cease of existence after a time of movement and life and energy. Brush and paint or ink was a good way to get this as the strokes inevitably come to an end when the brush gets drier. 


These are strange in that they are in no way specific to what I was reading or the author I am exploring, and in that way they are not successful or useful even. They just explore a universal concept and happening, in no particular way or context. 

I think this idea of drawing death would be a lot more useful and constructive if I was to find a way to make it specific to the reading I have done and give it a context within this project, something I have yet to discover. 


No comments:

Post a Comment