Saturday 23 September 2017

5 Quotes - 'By day the banished sun circles the earth like a grieving mother with a lamp'

The first McCarthy quote that really stood out to me. Very evocative and visually inspiring, vivid mental image of old lady with a lamp watching over the world.


Found it very difficult to translate image in my head onto paper, learnt quick the struggle of making images from the mind. 

Couldn't incorporate the sun and lady figure effectively, although I also feel like drawing an actual mother is perhaps too obvious and uninteresting, that is to draw the quote as it is told. 



Several attempts at banished sun and mother separately, working quite fast and loose, interesting textures in top left sun but other than that mostly unsuccessful and boring. Potential with painting yet not technically good, wrong techniques used and could be better with looser less structured forms. 


Wanted to build up layers in a portrait but could not reach a point where it achieved what I had hoped. Perhaps too many layers? over worked? Not enough structure or intention? I also could not resist the urge to outline everything I draw, which I think takes away from the layers. 




No comments:

Post a Comment