Sunday 24 September 2017

5 Quotes - 'He felt something cold & soulless enter him like another being & he imagined that it smiled malignly & he had no reason to believe that it would ever leave'

What a beautiful and dark way to describe the feelings of heart break.


Malignly is such a difficult word to draw and expression to create on a face. Again I had a very strong and vivid image in my head of what I wanted to draw but it took some work to get there. The graphite stick just wasn't really dark enough and although I wanted something ghostly it just didn't have enough strength to it. Also the hearts surrounding the head was a bad move.



These started become more of what i was going for, but there expressions were too exaggerated and cartoon like. I was more wanting something sinister and twisted but still in keeping with 'soulless'. Although the definitely have something too them with a build up of tone and textures and mark making.


Using paint was a definitely leap in the right direction. Being able to properly layer tone and create more ghostly and eerie faces through the use of brush strokes and marks proved very successful. Although these felt still a little too 'defined' for what I was going for, with quite clear and structured features.



These two were the closest to what I was imagining, the right one in particular. I love that it's mouth is not clear yet you can still make out a sinister smile of sorts out of the marks. The head position adds to the dark personality portrayed in the character, and the deep, eye-less eye sockets. I would've maybe preferred some more of the blue-y tones used above but these are definitely a success to me anyway. 



No comments:

Post a Comment