Sunday 24 September 2017

5 Quotes - 'John Grady looked at the little square of light in the door & at the skew of it on the wall above the old man's head where he sat'

I love the way Cormac McCarthy commonly depicts light in interesting ways. It makes for very cinematic reading with atmosphere heavy scenes. 


I really seemed to struggle to depict a patch of light in a shadow with these first attempts. Maybe it was the addition of colour throwing me off? By the looks of the first one I was unaware what a shadow actually looks like, instead drawing what seems to be the window with the light illuminating behind.


Keeping it simply black and white was definitely the best move. I love the stark contrast between the white of the light and the dark shadow, and then the texture of tones on the man's face to break that up and exaggerate it. I was impressed this time that I was able to draw this from my mind and not use any reference to do so. 

I think they tell an interesting story on their own, as it is unclear where the man is or even who is it, he is just a figure in the dark. However the patch of light suggests a room and from that I believe a viewer could assume a cell (which is the case). 


Final unsuccessful experiment with texture. It just does not achieve the same contrast or boldness that the ink studies above do. 



No comments:

Post a Comment