Friday 6 January 2017

Vis Language - Photoshop

I struggle with digital work. I don't know what changes when an image goes from being on a piece of paper in front of me to being on a screen, but something in that transition I manage to lose the ability to make a good image. I don't really understand how to create something visually successful when working on photoshop, beyond simply touching up my analogue drawings; something which I consider myself okay at when working with my hands on paper.
Maybe it is just inexperience, or ignorance, or the fact that there are so many possibilities with the software that it simply becomes crippling, but for whatever reason I didn't really enjoy making these edits of my brush and ink drawings as a result.





I wouldn't say I'm particularly hap[p[y with any of the outcomes I produced, but I did learn more about photoshop just having the opportunity to mess about and experiment to see what things did what on the software. One thing I couldnt seem to manage was making my images look less 'flat', and like they were literally just drawings scanned in. I think one of the successes of artists who can effectively employ digital techniques in their work is that they look seamless and natural, harmonious with the medium they were created with. This is something mine really seem to lack. 
On the second to last image I did manage to discover an interesting technique though, where You can create a pattern by selecting an area of your drawing, and then photoshop recreates that, tiling it together. This could be used to make some interesting textures and surfaces with which to work on and use within a piece. 

Although I do wish to broaden my abilities with photoshop, and can appreciate it's uses and successes as a way of making and pushing work further, and although I would never write it off completely, I can just never see it replaces analogue processes within my work.



No comments:

Post a Comment