Monday 9 January 2017

Visual Narratives - Watercolour


Perhaps in direct contrast to the square compositions I was creating, I started making these watercolour landscapes of Ferrybridge based on the photos that I took whilst on my research trips.

Is it a good painting? Is it effective? Does it even tell a story or communicate an idea?

I think it is maybe more subtle in it's message. I don't think it is at all a good painting, I am by no means a painter and don't consider myself in the slightest talented at painting. But I think watercolour is a nice medium to use for a brief about personal stories; I think it can be a 'soft' medium, it isn't aggressive or too bold or graphic. It also reminds me of old paintings of the British countryside and towns and villages in them.

I have a few problems though, on top of the fact that I don't consider my paintings too be at all accomplished.

  • They do not work with my square compositions at all, they have a totally different tone of voice and aesthetically shouldn't really be featured next to each other.
  • These paintings are maybe too figurative and obvious as images. I wanted to try and explore looser and more abstract approaches with this brief, HOWEVER I feel like other briefs in the future may be more suited to abstract results. 
  • I don't have enough reference images to paint 12 different paintings, and my book would be ineffective as just a collection of paintings, as it wouldn't tell the story of the place that I want it to. The issue I am trying to communicate may not be present well enough in these images.
One thing I could do to solve the latter problem, would be to draw the power station in a different medium to the houses, to show the contrast between the place and the people and how the station has effected them (the above painting is not finished due to this reason). 

No comments:

Post a Comment