Thursday 12 January 2017

Visual Narratives - Post-Tutorial, outcome plan

After a very positive and invaluable tutorial, I am set on a direction for my book and have started producing more specific work towards it, some of which being final artwork.

The overall idea for the work for my book is a network of diagrammatic symbols, images and illustrations, most of which drawn loosely from my found map, the others the symbols depicting the stories of the people I met, also including the watercolour 'postcards' of the village. The idea is basically to take the compositions I was previously doing in squares outside the confines of their outlines and into a more map-like composition, spanning out from the watercolour paintings. This way the two aesthetics work nicely together and have an interesting relationship on the same page.


Here are a couple of sketched out plans for the pages. I love how all the separate elements fit together and work as one whole, and the story of the place can almost be traced and followed along the lines and shapes within the diagrams. The quotes also fit nicely and give relief from the busy, line heavy structures of the pages.

I have also decided on a concertina format for my final book, liking how the final product will be able to be folded out and looked at as a whole, like a map would. also I feel like it makes sense to do them that way allowing the stories and images to flow onto different pages and all weave together and become one story of the whole place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment