Thursday 23 February 2017

Acts of Kindness - Anti-Groping, My Position as a Practitioner

Now, this is a topic I feel extremely strongly about and something that I would really like to change in our society, especially within the clubbing and drinking culture.

However, when initially drawing out these ideas, I started to question my place as a straight, male practitioner, and the argument of what is or isn't appropriate for me to depict in relation to this subject. There is nothing inherently wrong with drawing the female anatomy and it is something I greatly appreciate and enjoy, however something felt slightly wrong for me to be drawing female forms when tackling the topic of young men groping women. I can't really put a finger on what this little nag was a result of, or whether it was telling me anything of value, but then is that down to me to evaluate and decide? Or do I, as a male, not have a say in how this is read?


With that said, I like the ideas behind what I was trying to do, and I hope I presented them respectfully and appropriately. I love the idea that the image on first glance is abstract with it's simple forms, yet when coupled with a blunt phrase such as 'DON'T GROPE', I think the imagery clicks and the idea is therefore communicated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment