Wednesday 22 February 2017

Visual Language - Composition, Frame

Frame is most probably the aspect of composition which I am the most conscious of previously and perhaps most experienced with. If composition is the arrangement of elements in an image in relation to other elements, then frame is how the composition relates to the overall image area or border. In the most basic example, it is the choice between portrait and landscape, and to which effect either is chosen.

Frame is important in the creation of different viewpoints, achieved through cropping and overlapping. This creates depth in images using foreground, mid ground and background, as well as a sense of scale and space in between the different elements. There's no good having a well thought out composition if it is framed or cropped poorly or inappropriately.

STUDY TASK


Butterfly, Elephant and me. 
I don't really know how well framed this composition is....I guess a square was consciously decided upon to create a balance but I think that could be a cop out maybe. I haven't really used the whole space very efficiently in my opinion, there is a lot of empty space around the butterfly, but I do like the shape that the elephants trunk makes, and the fact that it is only inferred by its trunk instead of shown as a whole. I think the image does have flow though and a circular line of sight, even if the trunk perhaps misleads the eye to the bottom right instead of allowing the viewer to naturally follow the direction of my arm and hand leading to the butterfly.



No comments:

Post a Comment