Thursday 23 February 2017

Acts of Kindness - Cycle, Simplification and Visual Ideas

This was the first thing I have drawn at that point in this project that actually excited me and I guess it almost presented a new way of image making for me, in the portrayal of visual ideas and concepts and not just pictures.


Firstly, I just love the top one. Theres something immensely satisfying about the order of the vehicles which is then abruptly interrupted by the cyclist, telling the story and concept I am communicating. The cyclist is almost rebellious and bold among the anxiety-provoking traffic jam and I hope that would make people consider cycling just by the use of an image and one work, 'CYCLE'.

BUT what excited me were the other two designs. Simplifying the vehicles and bikes to just basic shapes, something this design really lends itself too, it can still portray the idea perfectly, yet now it has an ambiguous side to it, a more abstract and interesting and hopefully though provoking quality. Similarly to the anti-groping idea but more so, you first see an arrangement of simple shapes, but with the introduction of just a single word, a whole meaning and concept opens up. 

This is very fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment