Wednesday 22 February 2017

Visual Language - Composition, Depth and Line of Sight

To me line of sight is a very interesting concept, the fact that it is mostly read totally subconsciously, yet it has a big influence on the successes of an image, it's overall atmosphere and the story it tells. Line of sight is essentially a journey the viewer is taken on, and is a way for an image maker to embed a narrative into one image. Images with clever line of sight have movement and flow and a harmony (or disharmony depending on the intended effect) all read naturally and subconsciously. 

Depth is something else which I have perhaps lacked in my work up until this point, and it is something which as a result I always admire and notice in other people's work. Depth can really help to place a viewer in an image, to immerse them in it. It can also be used in a jarring way to create other worldly, or comparatively realistic, scenes and scenarios. 


STUDY TASK

Overall I feel like had I been more intentional and conscious about what I was creating with my diorama I could have employed the devices of depth and line of sight more successfully. I more adopted the process of recreating my favourite bits from my sketches and then trying to fit them together in a half-interesting arrangement. One thing I did find interesting is the view point of the lamppost, especially in my original sketches. I love how it's so big and very foreground, and it kind of points to the background, leading a viewer down into the depth of the picture. It also splits up the composition in a strong way; I feel like including something so close and bold is a strong move and I should have made it more prevalent in my final diorama.


No comments:

Post a Comment