Thursday 2 February 2017

I See Faces - Initial Image Making, Tribal Masks


Exploring the tribal, mysterious vibes.
These were actually VERY freeing to make, to just lay down shapes and lines in other shapes to build up abstract 'tribal' mask faces. Some I really love a few and some I am not too keen on, yet I cannot articulate what makes the successful ones better. I guess it just comes down to what shapes work nicely together in a certain arrangement. They also directly play on what was covered in the briefing and Loomis' ideas on faces; the human brain sees faces in everything, even an arrangement of shapes, when the idea of a face is only vaguely suggested.

Although slightly cartoony, I do really like the figure on the right page. Theres something about his basic costume of marks that works really nicely with that particular face. I want to explore floating people more too.


No comments:

Post a Comment