Tuesday 14 March 2017

Persons of Note - Initial Ideas & Image


On researching about Jarry, I discovered he influenced Dadaism, and it's hardly surprising what with his anti-bourgeois sensibilities and absurdist style. This quick little drawing was an, albeit unsuccessful, attempt at combining the absurd collage techniques of the dada and the anatomy styles of Expanded Eye, with the marionette reference tying it back to Jarry.

Admittedly this wasn't much of a conscious effort on my part in image making, but it is the start. If anything, it proves that it takes consciousness and effort and intention in order to create something that looks half decent, especially when combining different techniques and tone's of voice; block colours alongside outlined shapes alongside collage. 

This also starts an interesting conflict between process and outcome, something I have no doubt waffled about on my blog before. This becomes particularly apparent when working with collage and the decision arises about whether you let the process lead the image, or an imagined outcome that you wish to reach. There's something I really love about the spontaneity of letting the process totally dictate the outcome, but I do get an anxiety about that, about not being able to see whether it's going to end up successful or not. I should probably step out of comfort zone more with that though, especially if it's a point of contention for me. 

I am really keen to try and push mixed media a lot more in my work and see this project as an excellent opportunity for this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment