Tuesday 14 March 2017

Persons of Note - More Collages



Moving on from the same image of Jarry cycling, I took to altering a portrait of the writer. Again, using simple alterations, duplicates and overlaying, I attempted to create little changes to suggest a distortion and quite an unnerving version of reality.

Although simple and not appropriate for final images, they were also so fun to make and I feel like they hold so much potential and possibility as images. I think with more layering, images such as the very top right could work really nicely as finished pieces. 

When making these I stumbled across the work of Miriam Tolke, a visual artist based in Berlin. I have only been able to find her instagram online, but it consists almost primarily of her collage work, which helped inspire me with a few of the above images. Her pieces seem intentionally loose, combining images and elements that aren't perhaps immediately related or even appropriate together, in terms of visual devices for building up certain forms. Theres something that really appeals about this though, the juxtapositions and randomness, the very distorted and abstract nature of her work. There is an honesty about the fact that not all of the separate images particularly line up or fit together, yet they have a relationship and tell a unique story in their positioning together and resulting composition. I could try and 

Miriam's instagram : https://www.instagram.com/mir._art/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment