Tuesday 21 March 2017

Persons of Note - More Mono Prints, Pataphysics




















Some more tester prints, this time of the Pataphysics analysis diagram I roughed up in my sketchbook.

In the feedback sessions the colours were discussed and approved of; the combination of grey and a deep maroon burgundy colour is as reflective of the time as you can get whilst still employing colour, seen as the photos from 19th century are all black and white.

They didn't print too great to start with, the fine details of the dotted line not getting picked up enough probably due to the lines being too light in weight.







































I actually really love how these have layered up. I think the colours work really beautifully together, the grey allowing the darker maroon to still show through and the forms of the shapes underneath to stay legible and clear.

Again the dotted lines haven't really come out all too well. Another mistake I made was printing the top layer before the bottom layer was totally dry, meaning a double print has been caused by the wet ink getting on my stencil before over printing. The stencil also ended up ripping due to it being on too thin paper, of which are visible in the prints where the ink has made it through the rips.

Overall these were very messy and fair unsuccessful prints. BUT they were a learning curve and a valuable one at that. I know that the designs layer up nicely but the stencils need to be thicker and the top layer can only be printed once the bottom is dry.

I guess the handmade and rough quality to these prints could be reflective of Jarry's wild mind, but I believe that could be pushing it a bit...

No comments:

Post a Comment