Tuesday 28 March 2017

Persons of Note - Where is the end? When is Something Finished?

I was talking to Matt yesterday about my final poster, or what I thought was my final poster, and he suggested adding some extra textures digitally, some more marks and nuances to the print to finish it off. With having to hand in my poster at the digital print drop off not long after, I didn't have enough time to make such changes before I got it printed.

But it did spark up a few questions in my mind about what is 'finished'? When should you just leave a piece of work alone and when should you carry on exploring, adding and altering the final result?

My Grandpa always used to tell me regarding watercolours, 'if you don't know whether it is finished, it probably is', preventing overworking and muddying a painting which is all too easy with watercolour. And over working any other piece of work is very easy too, there is always the risk of overcrowding compositions, overcomplicating colours and marks, and pushing images too far past their finished sweet spot. There is also a challenge of going back to a piece you consider finished and working into it more; there is something in me that wants to leave it alone and let it be, and any mistakes or improvements should be learnt from and carried onto the next piece of work, the previous existing as a learning curve and an example of a lesson yet to be learnt. 

I believed I was being bold and confident with my final poster, leaving it as just a collection of shapes mono printed into a simple composition. All my work previous has tended to involve intricate processes and elements, and I really wanted this body of work to be a step away from that. And for that reason I am leaving the poster alone, even if Matt's advise could very well be right. I always really appreciate getting feedback and improvements though and see the immense value they hold in pushing my images further.

No comments:

Post a Comment