Monday 20 March 2017

Visual Language - Final Observational Task

Having sadly missed the field trip to York, I caught up with my observational drawing with a little wander around Leeds at the weekend. Admittedly I perhaps didn't invest the equivalent time into this task had I been on the York trip, but still I feel like it was a valuable exercise and one I don't do often enough.


I did look at and refer back to the list of words given for this exercise but I don't feel like I fulfilled them in any particular way, but it was really nice to be out and concentrating on drawing for a few hours away from Visual Communication work. I typically started off with some more considered and 'accurate' drawings sat in Waterstones. I like them although I realise they probably aren't the most interesting or engaging. They are a good practice in perspective and depth and form however and are very valuable in that regard. 



Now these two double spreads are by far my favourite from the day. They are drawings of people walking along the street from above, out of a window looking down on them. I LOVE the fact that the limited time to draw each one, literally a matter of seconds, and the fact that the angle and the forms of the people are constantly moving and changing means the details you can grab onto the page are super restricted. Each figure is boiled down to their most basic forms as a result, and inherently movement is translated in them by their loose and energetic lines. I would really love to do some more similar drawings of moving objects that are quite abstract and gestural and EXCITING. 


Lastly a few more considered drawings, but perhaps a blend of the above two styles; thought out and concentrated, yet still loose and fairly gestural, especially in the portrayal of clothing. I did try a little pattern in the hair but I feel like it doesn't count...

I ALWAYS say this but I REALLY need to go out and draw more, every day. It's so valuable to my practice and it's actually really enjoyable when you get into it...

No comments:

Post a Comment